After School STEM Academy: Hosts:
- ASSA Student Recruitment Flyer – Customizable
Spring Session Details
- Session Dates: 05/09/22- 06/17/22
- Spring session is fully in-person. Everyone participates together in the school setting.
- Curriculum: LiftOff: Rockets & Rovers. In this unit, students will launch rockets to moons and planets, and create rovers to explore the destination. Students will use a stomp launcher for testing. A large, open space, possibly outdoors, will be preferred.
The goal of ASSA is to give students exposure to industry professionals, to learn about STEM careers and career pathways, and to engage in fun, hands-on learning that helps increase 21st Century skills. As a reminder, WABS is a nonprofit collaborative of school districts. Each district that is a member of our collaborative pays a small membership fee to have access to our programs. This makes up a small part of our budget – the rest made up of foundation and corporate grants. Thus there is no cost to the school, staff, or students.
- Curriculum and materials kits
- A volunteer facilitator from a local STEM industry
- Training for school host staff and industry volunteers prior to facilitating the session. Teachers can receive one CE hour with training attendance.
- Ongoing resources and support for hosts and volunteers throughout the session.
Teacher Host Responsibilities
In-Person Session: Choose 4 dates between 05/09 – 06/17 to host a 1.5-hour in-person session after school.
- Recruit up to 24 students, 3rd-6th grades, in agreement with your school’s social distancing guidelines.
- Ensure you or your volunteer have the classroom supply kit before your first session.
- Connect with your volunteer, and ensure they have submitted for any necessary background checks.
- During the sessions, the school host must be present to help with technical support, student management, and to support the industry volunteers who are facilitating the activities. Teachers may need to run the presentations for volunteers depending on district technology permissions.
Questions? Contact Kyleigh Sapp at email@example.com.